In a nutshell, here are five important things a copy editor does for you:
- Fixes typos, misspellings, and grammar and punctuation mistakes
- Reads your document for consistency and accuracy -- are the same terms used throughout the document, is the same tense used, are the facts correct, etc.
- Reviews your document for readability -- does it flow well, does it make sense, are you getting your message across, etc.
- Checks formatting -- is the format consistent throughout the document, are headings all the same size, is the spacing between paragraphs the same, etc.
- Presents you with a polished document free of errors that reads well and that you can be confident in publishing